CBS Interactive Unveils Slate of New Premium Programming Across Its Industry-Leading Brands CBS.com, CBSSports.com, CBSNews.com, CNET, GameSpot and More
NewFronts Presentation Underscores CBS Interactive’s Leadership as the Only Top 10 Web Property Solely Focused on Creating and Delivering Premium Content at True Scale
New Programming Includes CNET Appliances, Web Series Extensions of CBS Television Network’s ELEMENTARY and PERSON OF INTEREST, GameSpot’s “GameStart” and More
Special “Live On Letterman” Webcast Concert with Phoenix Closes the Event
NEW YORK, NY – April 30, 2013 – CBS Interactive, the world’s largest publisher of premium content and a perennial top 10 Web property, today announced eight new programming initiatives to complement the more than 88 premium series and 80 specials that the company produces and distributes across its network of properties, including CBS.com, CBSSports.com, CBSNews.com, CNET and GameSpot brands.
CBS Interactive President Jim Lanzone and Chief Client Officer David Morris unveiled the new programming initiatives during the company’s presentation at the Interactive Advertising Bureau’s Digital Content NewFronts. The new initiatives reflect CBS Interactive’s unique position of developing and delivering broadcast-quality programming across platforms at a scale unmatched by any other online publisher or ad network.
“As the worlds of TV and online video buying come closer together, one thing is clear: CBS is one of the few companies that can leverage relationships and content across both worlds,” said Jim Lanzone, President of CBS Interactive. “With our dominant position in TV and expanding video programming online, we are in the right place at the right time.”
A selection of CBS Interactive’s 25 premium brands, which reach more than 270 million unique visitors globally each month, were highlighted in the presentation, including: CNET, the biggest tech news and reviews site in the world; CBS.com, the #1 network TV site based on viewers for more than four years straight; CBSNews.com, the #1 network news brand on Twitter; CBSSports.com, host of the #1 live-streamed sports event and most social TV event in history; and GameSpot, the #1 gaming information site and a leader in the burgeoning eSports category.
CBS talent including CBS THIS MORNING Co-Anchor Norah O’Donnell, CNET Editors Brian Cooley and Molly Wood, CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora, CBSSports.com’s Fantasy Football Today hosts Nate Zegura, Dave Richard and Brent Stover, and the LATE SHOW with DAVID LETTERMAN Musical Director Paul Shaffer took the stage to present CBS Interactive’s new programming initiatives, which include:
- Baker Street Irregulars: An online original series based on CBS Television Network’s ELEMENTARY that follows a motley crew of characters who assist the modern-day Sherlock in solving cases with their unique talents.
- Person of Interest: Animated: Based on the CBS Television Network's PERSON OF INTEREST, and produced by the creator and executive producer, Jonathan Nolan, and executive producer, Greg Plageman, this animated web series, modeled in Japanese anime style, will extend from the TV series to deliver bigger-than-real-life action.
- Next Big Thing: A show that takes the CNET experience from the tech industry’s major events each year and turns it into the ultimate barometer of where our digital world is heading.
- CNET Appliances: This fall, CNET will be launching an extension of its brand into the fast-growing smart appliance category – from refrigerators and dishwashers to washing machines and dryers, as well as microwaves, home automation systems and even smaller appliances, like WiFi-enabled coffee makers.
- CNET Español: CNET will be expanding its footprint as the #1 tech news and reviews site this fall with the launch of CNET Español, bringing the brand's breaking news, trends and reviews to U.S. Latino market, which accounts for $1 trillion in annual spending power.4
- GameStart: GameStart follows a new generation of gaming upstarts as they navigate the waters of crowd-sourced funding on Kickstarter in their quest to build the next great gaming brand.
- Baller Status: Game on! Baller Status brings viewers front row access to pro-athletes, entertainers and gaming luminaries as they play head to head matches and show off their love of gaming.
- GameCrib Season 2: GameSpot teams up with A-List League of Legends team TSM Snapdragon and Qualcomm to plug you directly into the lives of pro gamers. Watch as the team pulls together for another season of intense training, epic tournaments, and more than a little roommate drama.
In addition, CBS Interactive’s premier and recently launched web series were also showcased, including CNET’s Hooked Up, On Cars and Always On, CBSSports.com’s Fantasy Football Today, CBSNews.com’s 60 Minutes Overtime, and more.
CBS Interactive closed the presentation with a special Live On Letterman concert webcast with GRAMMY® Award-winning band Phoenix, giving attendees a unique opportunity to take part in one of its flagship original series.
About CBS Interactive
CBS Interactive, a division of CBS Corporation, is the premier online content network for information and entertainment. With more than 270 million people visiting its properties each month, CBS Interactive is a top Web property globally. Its portfolio of leading brands, which include CNET, CBS.com, CBSNews.com, CBSSports.com, GameSpot, TV.com and Last.fm, span popular categories like technology, entertainment, sports, news and gaming.
Follow CBS Interactive on Twitter: twitter.com/cbsi and on Facebook.
CBS Interactive Press Contacts:
Rosabel Tao 415-344-2515 firstname.lastname@example.org
Morgan Seal 646-424-4321 email@example.com
Largest single day live streaming sports event in the US, Super Bowl XLVII, as reported by Omniture, February 2013.