"CBS THIS MORNING" EXCLUSIVE: BIPARTISAN GROUP OF SENATORS DISCUSS JANUARY 6 RIOT REPORT
A bipartisan group of U.S. senators released a report on the widespread security and intelligence failures in the lead-up to the January 6 riot. Congressional Correspondent Kris Van Cleave sat down with the key lawmakers behind the report – Democratic Senators Amy Klobuchar and Gary Peters as well as Republican Senators Roy Blunt and Rob Portman.
Watch Here: https://cbsn.ws/3zbvgSw
Twitter Link: https://bit.ly/3wZNJzs
- Senator Peters: “Part of the reason it was overlooked, as people were saying, well, this just can't happen. And these groups of folks, they can't do that. Well, now we know they can. We know that what happens on the Internet can be translated into physical action on the Capitol grounds or in towns across this country. We've got to treat domestic terrorism with the seriousness that it deserves.”
- Senator Portman: “These police officers were put in an impossible position. They didn't have adequate training, they didn't have adequate equipment, they didn't have adequate barriers. They didn't have adequate communication. They didn't have the intelligence to know it was coming and yet they valiantly supported the effort to protect the Capitol, protecting the vice president, protecting all members of Congress, protecting democracy.”
- Senator Blunt on if the Senate needs to look at why this riot occurred: “At the same time DOJ pursuing 450+ prosecutions right now. I think you're going to find a lot of information you can only find in one way and that's to pursue this through the legal system and that will lead you in new places if it's necessary to go there.”
- Senator Klobuchar on if the attack would have happened without President Trump’s speech on the mall that day: “No this wouldn't have happened if he hadn't done all of those things. His false claims of this election is what led to this insurrection.”
- Senator Klobuchar: “Our country needs a 9/11-style commission to get to the bottom of all this. While the prosecutions are going on you could be looking at the causes and everything but our mission right now was to protect this Capitol going forward.”
Follow CBS THIS MORNING on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
* * *